I've had this baby quilt in the queue for a while, and now that the baby is here, I finally got around to pulling it together.
This is my first whole cloth quilt, and clearly, the fabric makes all the difference. So gorgeous!! It's Echino Birdsong in natural for the front, which is a cotton/linen blend, and Echino Bird and Berry (an oh so soft double gauze) for the back. Le sigh.
I quilted it very simply, with a few straight lines across, and bound the edges with Kona cotton in Cerise.
I usually hand sew my bindings using caro's awesome mattress stitch-esque finish, but with this quilt tried machine binding for the first time. Using a blanket stitch (stitch #43 on my fancy-to-me Bernina that usually never sees anything but straight stitches!) and following a tutorial from Pat Sloan that I saw on whipup.net, I gave it a shot.
Here's how it looks from the front:
And from the back:
It turned out pretty well, much definitely faster than doing it by hand, but for sure some room for improvement. Next time I'll have to be a little more aggressive with the trimming of the edges after attaching the binding. Those were the only areas where I had any little wobbles -- where the binding edge was a little too "full" of front, batting and backing. But overall -- Yay!!